Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Storms & Reading

This past week has been kind of crazy with that storm that came though. Apparently there is a name for it! A Derecho. (It sounded more like a twister than anything to me). They even made a wiki article!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2012_North_American_derecho

We lost power for a little over three days in the blistering heat. Many others lost power for much longer. Dave counted about 14 trees down around our house. At my best friend's house they stopped counting at 50. My mom's house/the studio next door didn't even bother to count trees since we are in the woods.


This was outside my master bathroom window/the kitchen. Was pretty incredible to see when the lightning flashed in the middle of the night. I left my camera at the studio and really need a wide angle to really show the damage, so I've slacked on documenting everything.

Good news, I had plenty of guilt free time to catch up on my reading! I finished the last two books in the Hunger Games (Loved it!) and read Beastly. 



Hunger Games... Where do I start... I guess I don't without spoilers. It's not the type of book I normally read, but everyone kept raving about it. When the movie came out I decided I refused to watch it until I read the books. I am so glad I did. It was incredible! It's one of the best book series I've read this year. I gave the first two books 5 stars and the last book 4 stars.

Beastly on the other hand was way better in book form than the movie. It was cute and kept my attention. I bought the deluxe edition with Lyndi's story. (I'm a sucker for pretty book covers.) The movie was terrible... The book actually seemed like a real Beauty and the Beast retelling. I'd give it a 3.5 (I liked it and it was cute and a very fast read, but not amazing. Maybe it's because I read it immediately after Hunger Games.)



For credit, I took the above book covers from Goodreads.com.
I think next up on my reading shelf is "Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold."
My dad had a first edition book, so I had to take this cover from the Wikipedia article about the book.
I've read about 58 pages so far. I read that it's a slow start, but once you hit page 60 it speeds up into a fun story. My dad highly recommends it - so we'll see soon as I find time to read again! (Hopefully not because of another storm!!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment